Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Shrimp Boil

Sunday was our First Wedding Anniversary and we decided to throw a shrimp boil for a few  forty of our family, friends and neighbors.  As part of the guestbook at our wedding, we left out cards and small envelopes for our guests to write wishes or advice to open on our one year anniversary.  So, Sunday morning, we made coffee on our new Keurig and opened all of our cards.  Let me just say this, I'm super glad we didn't open them in front of our family because when some of our friends get drunk, they write inappropriate things.

Then we prepped for the party!





















A Shrimp Boil, or a low-county boil has potatoes, corn, onions, butter, shrimp and a delicious sausage.  So, we prepped 40 ears of corn, 10 lbs of potatoes, 6 lbs of onions, 25 lbs of shrimp, and 14 lbs of sausage.    Have you ever seen that much corn in your life?  Our super cool friends Kim and Mike made us the Shrimp Shaped Sign for the front yard!




Our other friend Mike (we know a lot of Mikes okay?)  brought us the sausage from a sketchy and dangerous grocery store in Detroit.  It is the most delicious sausage in the world.





After it all boils up, dump the boil on crawfish party paper.  Or newspaper, whatever you prefer. And, then you get to eat it: 



We had so much fun!  Thank you to everyone who came, especially my grandpa from Florida who flew in and worked on my house on Friday and Saturday.  He mowed my lawn, mudded the back bedroom, and painted the stairs.  It sure does help to have talented family members! 

 

Of course, we had to get lots of pictures in front of the sign!  Oh, and my dress had seahorses on it, but that's basically close enough.  

A special thanks to my best friends, Natalee and Elizabeth who are the greatest helpers in the world and decorated my tables beautifully, made LEGIT sweet tea and shucked all of my corn.  I appreciate it so much! 


And, to my mother for getting us this cake:  The same carrot cake we had at our wedding 1 year ago!  
Mom:  Draw a brown house on the cake with some stick figures, call me if you have questions. 


It was a fabulous way to kick off the summer and it was so great to give everyone a tour of our new digs.  Thanks everyone!  We had a blast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment