Monday, May 6, 2013

Bathroom/Flooring/Gardening - Weekend Contracting continues!

It has been awhile since we've updated but the weekends are just so crammed full of weekend contracting excitement that I don't have a spare second to create a blog post.

This weekend, I started my 25' by 5' garden!  I love gardening and I come from a long line of gardeners.  One of my favorite memories as a kid was going into my grandpa's backyard and picking a sun-warmed tomato and eating it like an apple with salt!  It is one of my most delicious memories and I have wanted my own backyard garden for basically my whole life.

So, this weekend, my dad brought the tiller and we mapped out where the garden will be:


 

It was VERY hard work.    My dad has never let anyone use his tiller (except me!) and that's probably because it feels like a baby elephant is pulling you forward chewing up the land.  You literally have to lean backwards with all of your weight and dig in your feet to keep the tiller in place.  My shoulders and upper arms have never been this sore!  But, it was all worth it because after we framed out the garden with some pressure treated 2 x 12s, I got to plant my cukes, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and brussel sprouts.    I'm also putting in beets, carrots, potatoes, various lettuces and an herb garden.

I am so happy to have a yard and place to grow food.  I don't have to have chase that elusive garden fresh tomato taste anymore!

 

Here is a gratuitous picture of Moe, jungle cat.
"Who the hell planted all this grass out here and why am I just now finding out about it?!"


We also finished the demo on the bathroom, which was not as easy as they make it seem on HGTV.  I might be done with that channel.  What type of new tile would you like? is probably the very last question you should ask yourself when putting in a new bathroom.  They don't tell you that the marble tile used by the old owners is super heavy and has been glued on  by some alien crazy glue previously unknown to man.  They also don't tell you that pretty much every toilet installed in the 70s has leaked at some point in the last 40 years and you have to replace all of the plywood before you put down cement board, a resurfacer to make everything level and then you can do the tile.  But, you also have to do 700 other steps, like secure the vent, hire an electrician, fix the shower drain that  dad cracked became cracked in a freak accident, purchase drywall, replace the insulation, install plumbing for a rain shower.  The list is endless.  


This is what my master bathroom looks like right now.  In all honesty, it is very exciting to have a completely blank slate to work with.  I can do anything I want in that space and I couldn't be more excited about the rain shower!  I wish I had that super cool animation software utilized by the notorious Property Brothers to show exactly how the bathroom is going to turn out. 

Sorry it took so long between posts!  I'll try to update more frequently!  

Weekend Contractors out.


No comments:

Post a Comment