Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The two hundred dollar swing

I apologize for my late arrival to Brown Beauty. I tend to stick my mind to one objective and ignore everything else going on around me when I get stressed. With a new house, new job, and a laundry list of projects to accomplish, these last few months have been anything but a breeze. So to all those I owe a phone call to, my sincerest apologies.

This is a story about a man and a bathroom:

Typically, a story about a man and a bathroom revolves around a long night of drinking, too much Taco Bell, or a lot of reading material. This one is different. Demolishing the bathroom was the first among a long list of remodeling projects that we will tackle on Brown Beauty. It is also the very first place that I realized that I have no clue what the hell I am doing.

It started quite simple. I wanted to move the doorway so that my bathroom door was outside of my vanity and not simply covering the toilet and shower. So I bashed some drywall and felt like a bad ass. Hours later I was still trying to figure out what the hell to do. I cut a hole in the drywall where my new doorway would be located but it looked more like a I suffered a stroke in the process. Suffice is to say, it was far from a straight line to frame in a new door.

At this point in the process I figured it was time to quit. It seemed like I was just puttering around and recklessly swinging my hammer. I decided to just remove one more small bit of drywall and then call it a day.  And so I took a few swings and heard a crack. I swung a bit to hard and on the back swing I destroyed the only good toilet in our house.

Brown Beauty has 3 toilets but only one of them actually worked well. A few days earlier, I even made sure to tell Jill that under no circumstances would I discuss replacing that toilet. And then I took a swing that cost me the only toilet worth a damn.

You don't realize how great a toilet is until its gone.

Tomorrow I will continue with part two of the bathroom. The Deuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment